Sunday, June 26, 2005


After the race yesterday Jon and I grabbed some dinner and headed to our hotel in Laramie, Wyoming. Laramie doesn’t have the best cell service in the world, so when we suddenly got two phone calls from Sara (Jon’s sister) we were surprised. Sara called from Estes Park at the Schaffer family reunion to say that Granny (Jon’s grandmother) had passed away of a heart attack at 2:30 a.m. in San Diego. Jon and I were shocked and extremely saddened and decided the best thing to do is be with everyone at the family reunion and be together. We packed up all of our stuff at the hotel and jumped in the car and headed to Estes Park. When we arrived at 9 there was a full ceremony going on at the condominiums all the family had rented. Everyone was hugging and crying and telling stories about Granny.

It was a sad time, but also a good time to heal with everyone right there together. I had taken some pictures of Granny the last time Jon and I were at her house in San Diego this January, and I saw those pictures on the wall. It made me feel good that I somehow could help them heal from their loss.

So, this is a tribute to granny. I title the picture “leanin’ on my ride” because she loved that car, and I told Granny that I would love to get a picture of her leanin’ on her ride. She loved the idea, and it somehow captured the spirit and nature of her in that one moment.
Posted by Hello

No comments: